Monday, August 22, 2011

The Search Continues

And, unsurprisingly, it has not yet been successful.

Why is it unsurprising? Well, lets take a look at my list of qualifications in order to make it to be the wedding venue of my dreams:

*Perfect Size - meaning it holds somewhere around 50 people
*Located in NH, in the Lakes Region or the White Mountains
*Available for Winter Weddings

If you're curious, these three already severely limit the options, but don't worry, my list continues. It also must have:

*A fireplace (at least one)
*Sleigh rides - or close proximity to sleigh rides
*Vegetarian friendly cuisine
*LGBTQ friendly owners/staff

And it would be nice if there were:

*No round tables (long rectangle ones with regular chairs would be great or even better cool sofas instead of any chairs and side tables - so awesome)
*A place to do an outside ceremony, in the falling snow
*An option to have lit candles at the reception

Also, it needs to just look right and have the right sort of feel. In short, there has to be a je ne sais quoi.

Okay, I'm insane. I get it. But...why spend all the money, go to all the effort, be exhausted, plan it for over a year and a half, have people travel, hire a photographer...well, why do all that if it isn't going to be just how you want it?

I know, I know: My privilege is showing. If this were twitter/tumblr, I would end this by tagging: #firstworldproblems

3 comments:

  1. Gwen, your post made me laugh! It is not unreasonable to have all the things that you and Leila want in your wedding!

    I wish I knew more about places in NH. I do know that I love, love, love Bedford Village Inn. It is a lot like where I got married but in NH.

    I bet anywhere you can get rectangle tables instead of round but you might pay for them to rent new ones but they might have them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to over think it! Does it photograph well, does it mean something to both of you... 'nuff said.

    The rest...
    size: People can squish around and they'll bloody well deal with that if they care to.
    location: you might be surprised how far people will travel
    availability: uh... okay a little hard to get around that one if winter is the agreement, but nature is always available
    fireplace: it's possible to make one. even in the winter. nothing like a winter bonfire
    sleighs: ehhh... difficult to get around too unless people are up for piggy-back x-country skiing. But still. I've done that, it's kinda fun.
    vegetarian: a must.
    LGBTQ: also a must, but these people lurk... afraid to say they're 'friendly'.
    tables etc: sofas are awesome... but it sounds like you're asking for a beer haus in Munich. But again... with alcohol, a few bonfires, and plenty of collapsed trees you'd be surprised what can happen in the woods in winter.
    falling snow: Aren't you asking for a wedding in the eastern bit of the continent? should be no shortage...
    candles: is this really an issue? you can always get people to smuggle in a taber or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about the Sunday River Inn and XC Ski Center -- were you among the Girl Scouts who went xc skiing there when there wasn't any snow in Gorham? I can't find a website for them, but the places around there are open all winter and there are sleigh rides in the area. The Bethel Inn is really pretty. It's not much farther than the White Mountains.

    ReplyDelete